Friday, June 4, 2010

popovers!

Popovers
(from BLT steakhouse recipe card)

Ingredients
4 cups milk, warmed
8 eggs
4 cups flour
1 1/2 heaping tablespoons salt
2 1/2 cups grated gruyere cheese

Place the popover pan in the oven. Heat the oven and pan to 350 degrees F. Gently warm the milk over low heat and set aside. Whisk the eggs until frothy and slowly whisk in the milk (so as to not cook the eggs). Set the mixture aside. Sift the flour with the salt. Slowly add this dry mixture and gently combine until mostly smooth.

Once combined, remove the popover pan from the oven and spray with nonstick vegetable spray. While the batter is still warm or room temperature (definitely not cool), fill each popover cup 3/4 full. Top each popover with 2 1/2 tablespoons of the grated gruyere.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 50 minutes, rotating pan half a turn after 15 minutes of baking. Remove from the oven, remove from the pan, and serve immediately.



First off, I don't have a popover pan. Nor did I have gruyere cheese. So I substituted a muffin pan and parmesan cheese. And only made half the recipe. This produced 18 muffin sized popovers. While they were good, I think that next time instead of filling the muffin tins 3/4 full, I'll try 1/2 full because there's a layer in there that was a bit mushy, instead of airy and light...and I'm pretty sure it's because the popovers couldn't rise as much as they wanted to in a muffin pan. I don't quite remember how long they were in the oven, but it was definitely less than 50 minutes, and I took them out when they were a nice, toasty, golden brown. :)

Overall, they were pretty good, and I'd make them again. Maybe a smaller recipe...and definitely less batter in each muffin hole.

1 comment:

  1. I've seen people make them in muffin pans and construct little foil collars around them so that they had more room to rise. More work, definitely, but maybe less investment than a popover pan? Those things usually only make 6 at a time, anyway. And...I like popovers. The cheese-less kind. They look tasty! And dude, half a batch made a lot o_O

    ReplyDelete